Thread: Losing contacts
View Single Post
Old 2012-09-19, 07:16

Default Re: Losing contacts

Hi Beat,

Yes I understand that if something's wrong at the serverside, the client likely cannot help it. I was just a little p*ssed-off that it happened *again* (just right now I've only got 4 contacts left after a seemingly successful sync) and was wondering if it was me doing something obvious wrong.

Something leads me to believe I've got something wrong with the various addressbooks that are on the device: there's 'Internal Phonebook', Google, Facebook and SySync. All are disabled except for 'Internal Phonebook'.
However, when I restored the addressbook in EGW and synced to the device, all contacts were synced to Google (now 940 contacts in there, 7xx before), although I disabled this addressbook everywhere I could find it: device accounts and withing Synthesis SyncML client. (I don't trust Google or Facebook with all my contacts, hence the personal EGW server, but that seems futile nowadays since they keep ending up at Google anyway.)
Every time I put effort in getting things right (by removing all contacts from all addressbooks and reloading the device having only 'Internal Phonebook' enabled) and I think I succeeded (that means: all contacts in the 'Internal Phonebook', none in others, which I checked) sooner or later things change and I can't understand why, because I'm not changing settings in either SySync or EGW (and no, AFAICT they do *not* change by themselves).

However, I'm using eGroupware community edition because it's free and it's for personal use only. If it's EGW that's fscking-up here, is there any other known good working CALDAV/CARDDAV server solution on *nix, preferably PHP based but could be anything else, you or anyone else can recommend that's free (like I said, it's for personal use only)?

Thanks, Rob