View Single Post
Old 2010-07-31, 09:14

Default Re: How to sync to the phone phonebook

Meanwhile I discovered that if I select no phone book at all to sync to in the Synthesis client it will sync to the native phone book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfo View Post
The main problem is that Android maps the internal phone book entries to the gmail account, so there is no way to differentate between gmail acocunt and internal phone book.
Hmm, my experience (see above) seems to point to a different situation for newer Android releases.

Also, there are at least two different APIs to access the phone book.
One that works on 1.x which seems to have the problem you describe and a newer one for 2.x that can access all phone books.
I was using aContacts as a means to access the phonebook for dialing, but it would not see the native phone book only the google one.
When I contacted the author, he told me to use his newer application "Dialer One" which uses a different API and can access the native phone book. He told me the main difference between the two apps is the API which is used to access the phone book.
All the apps on the phone that use the newer API can access the native phone book, the ones that don't will only see the google phone book.

Quote:
Please contact Google if you're not happy with that, unfortunately we can't change this from the application's point of view.
Well, no change needed at the moment, But it looks like you need to learn more about the Android APIs ;-)

Quote:
We think this comes from the fact that Android has introduced accounts with 2.0 and there is some legacy code to access the internal phone book.
See above.

Quote:
So there is currently no other way than using this gmail account, you can switch off syncing to Google Calendar (in the general settings app) if you do not like to show Google your address book.
Working with the google address book but turning off sync results in status line icons pointing to the need to sync. Quite annoying as this can not be turned off.

Quote:
stocks and weather are some HTC Desire specific accounts which can't be really used for contacts sync.
Yup. Don't understand the concept used there ;-(

cheers
afx