Synthesis AG - SyncML Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Synthesis AG - SyncML Discussion Forum > Synthesis SyncML Products (english) > SyncML Clients for classic PDAs (WindowsMobile, PalmOS)

Old 2009-05-07, 12:50

Default All day event synced to PDA as mutli-day event (01:00 - 01:00)

Hello there,

I'm new to the forum and am hoping someone could help with a strnage PDA sync problem. We have egroupware running on a Linux box and are currently testing SyncML (version 3.0.2.24) for calendar event syncing on a Pocket PC 2002 PDA.

The syncing seems to work OK, except an all-day event in the egroupware calendar is added to the PDA as a multi-day event - because for some reason it spans a time period of 01:00 to 01:00.

Creating an all-day event on the PDA and syncing back the other way, adds a single all-day event to the egroupware calendar OK.

I've checked the following:

- Regional settings on PDA set to UK
- Times on all systems are consistent (PDA, PC, Linux server)

An all-day event in the egroupware calendar spans a time period of 00:00 - 23:59.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I am using a Pocket PC 2002 PDA here - could that be the problem? (e.g. need to use a newer version / PDA).

Thanks,
Alex
Old 2009-05-07, 14:06
plan44.ch

Default Re: All day event synced to PDA as mutli-day event (01:00 - 01:00)

Quote:
I am using a Pocket PC 2002 PDA here - could that be the problem?
While I don't think that this particular problem has it's cause in the PocketPC 2002, that version is incredibly buggy around the calendar, so anything beyond the bare minimum (for example recurrences, or multi-day events) will most probably not work ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsync View Post
An all-day event in the egroupware calendar spans a time period of 00:00 - 23:59.
If it is actually transmitted by the server as such, i.e. as something that converts to device LOCAL time 00:00-23:59, it will be recognized as an allday event.
What I suspect is that this 1 hour offset you see is caused by daylight savings time.

eGW Sync server is under development and has received many bug fixes lately (for example, see this post from a very active eGW user and developer). So please make sure you have the latest bug fixes.
Old 2009-05-07, 16:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by luz View Post
While I don't think that this particular problem has it's cause in the PocketPC 2002, that version is incredibly buggy around the calendar, so anything beyond the bare minimum (for example recurrences, or multi-day events) will most probably not work ok.

If it is actually transmitted by the server as such, i.e. as something that converts to device LOCAL time 00:00-23:59, it will be recognized as an allday event.
What I suspect is that this 1 hour offset you see is caused by daylight savings time.

eGW Sync server is under development and has received many bug fixes lately (for example, see this post from a very active eGW user and developer). So please make sure you have the latest bug fixes.
Thanks for the reply Luz.

However i can't seem to access the link you provided. Could you post it again please.

Cheers,
Alex
Old 2009-05-11, 13:09

For info,

I tries the same operation with a PDA using Pcoket PC 2003 and this problem did not occur. So it does look like a Pocket PC 2002 problem.

Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by luz View Post

Old 2009-08-05, 10:10

HI,

I have similar problems with Synthesis SyncML Client 3.0.2.24 syncing with Scheduleworld.com.

My device is a WM5 ASUS 636N

In my case it seems to be a wrong handling of Daylight saving time (summertime).

Questions:

How does SyncML handle all day events?

- Does the client submit his Time zone setting (i.e. GMT+1)?

- Will the server based on the time zone setting calculating all day events for the client?
Example for a all day event for GMT+1:
DTSTART:19660730T230000Z
DTEND:19660731T230000Z

- Which part (server or client) is responsible for handling the Daylight saving time?

- wouldn't it be better to handle all day events as 0:00 - 23:59 local time (without any time zone reference?

Gruss

OXI