Synthesis AG - SyncML Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Synthesis AG - SyncML Discussion Forum > Synthesis SyncML Products (english) > SyncML Clients for Android

Old 2011-03-30, 23:10

Default Timezone Problem in Calendar Sync

Hello!

I am running the Synthesis SyncML client (STD) on Android 2.2 (HTC Desire Z) and a private Funambol server on Linux. Since I do not have a second client, I can check the correctness of the data on the server only by inspecting the mysql-database.

Both, server and client, are set to the same time zone (CEST or "Berlin/Germany", which is UTC+2 during summer).

For a long time everything seemed to work. Then, due to a network error, the Client decided to make a "Slow Sync". Afterwards I found many (but not all) appointments in my calendar shifted by 1 or 2 hours.

I can reproduce the error (even without slow sync) like this:
  • created a new profile "spielwiese" and a new calendar instance of the same name for demonstration purposes (and to not play with my real data)
  • created a new user on the funambol server
  • connected the profile with the new user and made an initial sync (with no data on both sides)
  • created a new calendar entry on the mobile on April 3rd, starting 08:00, ending 08:30 (both AM)
  • made "normal sync"
  • checked event on mobile: OK
  • checked event in funambol-database:
    dstart: 2011-04-03 10:00:00
    dend: 2011-04-03 10:30:00
    dstart_tz: NULL
    dend_tz: NULL
    --> NOT OK
Assuming that the timezone NULL stands for local time, the event is shifted by two hours, if NULL means UTC, the event is shifted by 4 hours, since 08:00 CEST is 06:00 UTC. Probably the server took the 08:00 from the client as UTC and tried to convert it into CEST, resulting in 10:00.

With the next slow sync these wrong times would be transfered to the mobile, which leads to my initial problem.

I made the mentioned sync with the option of creating a a logfile. But where can I find this file?

With the help of the logfile it is hopefully possible to decide, if the client or the server is causing the problem.

Best regards,

Mark Proksch
Old 2011-04-01, 17:48
Synthesis AG

Default Re: Timezone Problem in Calendar Sync

Hello Mark,

the Android client should handle timezones and DST correctly. If the server is not sending timezone information, such shifts are normal, as the client can't assign it correctly.

To get the log files you can choose "keep logs" at the end of a logged session, then the file will be stored at your SDcard's download/log directory
(as described in the manual).

Or you can let it send to Synthesis for a closer look.
I'm interested to see where the problem is.

Regards
Beat
Old 2011-04-02, 21:47

Hello Beat,

thanks for your answer. I recreated the appointment of my initial posting (again 08:00-08:30 local time (Berlin), just a different day) and sync'ed it while creating a log, see enclosed. Please note, that I removed the adress of my server as well as my e-mail-adresses from the log.

After inspecting that log, I got the impression, that no timezone information is transfered to the server. So how can the server know, in which timezone the times are given?

And I found two interesting lines in a kind of server-description:
# - Treat remote TZ as local : No
# - Treat remote TZ as UTC : No
Should not one of these be "Yes"?

Best regards and have a nice weekend,

Mark
Old 2011-04-11, 15:44
Synthesis AG

The Synthesis client is of course sending time zone information. But the server must support it, which isn't the case according to your log file.

The remote TZ treatment is according to the information sent by the server, this is not an invention of the client, it's a poor devInf of the server.

Best Regards
Beat