Synthesis AG - SyncML Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Synthesis AG - SyncML Discussion Forum > Synthesis SyncML Products (english) > SyncML Clients for classic PDAs (WindowsMobile, PalmOS)

Old 2006-10-29, 17:31

Default Second Email adress in palm OS

Hi

I post this topic in this forum because I had no replies for the last post in the synthesis syncml-server forum

I use EGW and sync data (calendar/contacts) with a palm Tungsten E.
Synthesis client Syncml Engine V2.5.0.62

Home email (second email) do not sync in both ways.

I have tryed to understand what happend, but I am not programmer....

Perhaps the problem is located in the /calendar/inc/class.vcalladdressbook.inc.php in the Egw server
You can read that synthesis ag device is assigned to defaultfield array 0 :

Quote:
$defaultFields[0] = array(
'ADR;WORK' => array('','','adr_one_street','adr_one_locality','a dr_one_region',
'adr_one_postalcode','adr_one_countryname'),
'CATEGORIES' => array('cat_id'),
'CLASS' => array('access'),
'EMAIL;INTERNET;WORK' => array('email'),
'N' => array('n_family','n_given','','',''),
'NOTE' => array('note'),
'ORG' => array('org_name',''),
'TEL;CELL;WORK' => array('tel_cell'),
'TEL;FAX;WORK' => array('tel_fax'),
'TEL;HOME' => array('tel_home'),
'TEL;WORK' => array('tel_work'),
'TITLE' => array('title'),

As you can see, email_home and home address are not included.
I have tryed to insert ** 'EMAIL;INTERNET;HOME' => array('email_home'), **
line, but at this time, second email in my palm (first : work, second : home) are included and replace the work email in EGW .... strange, is'nt it ?

Perhaps I'm totaly wrong and the problem is in another place ...

In any case, I continue to work with EGW, just because the calendar sync between palm and EGW works fiiiine.

Best regards, and If someone can help ......

YL
Old 2006-10-29, 21:25
plan44.ch

Lightbulb Re: Second Email adress in palm OS

For one, the 2.5.0.62 client is a bit outdated. Current release is 2.5.0.68, and it will be soon replaced by 3.0 (already available as beta 2.9.x). Only the 3.0 supports the extra fields available in the newer Palms like Treo 650.

The other thing is that the Palm does not support storing attributes with email addresses, so it can't store whether an email address is home or work. It can store multiple email addresses (as long as the total of tel numbers + total of email addresses are <=5 for 2.5.x clients and old Palms and <=8 for 2.9.x clients on Treo 650 and newer Palms).

What is going on in eGW I have no idea - you'll probably need to consult eGW developers.
Old 2006-10-30, 02:45

Default Re: Second Email adress in palm OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by luz
For one, the 2.5.0.62 client is a bit outdated. Current release is 2.5.0.68, and it will be soon replaced by 3.0 (already available as beta 2.9.x). Only the 3.0 supports the extra fields available in the newer Palms like Treo 650.

The other thing is that the Palm does not support storing attributes with email addresses, so it can't store whether an email address is home or work. It can store multiple email addresses (as long as the total of tel numbers + total of email addresses are <=5 for 2.5.x clients and old Palms and <=8 for 2.9.x clients on Treo 650 and newer Palms).

What is going on in eGW I have no idea - you'll probably need to consult eGW developers.
Yes, I will try with beta 2.9 as soon as possible. I have consult eGW dev, one of them has ask for me to test in a server-test to debug, but no news since this time. I think it's not a priority for them and I do agree with this, so I try myself.

Thank you

PS - little question : I have 2.5.0.62 client in my palm, so if I install 2.9 client, does-it means that the 2.5.0.62 wille be updated or will-it be a new install, and at this time must I uninstall (and how ?) the 2.5.0.62 ?

YL
Old 2006-10-30, 08:21
plan44.ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvelan
PS - little question : I have 2.5.0.62 client in my palm, so if I install 2.9 client, does-it means that the 2.5.0.62 wille be updated or will-it be a new install, and at this time must I uninstall (and how ?) the 2.5.0.62 ?
You can install the new 2.9.x over the 2.5.0.62, and all settings will be retained. When going back to 2.5.0.x (I see no reason to do that, however) again just install it over the 2.9. Please see manual for details about up- and downgrading.
Old 2006-10-30, 10:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by luz
You can install the new 2.9.x over the 2.5.0.62, and all settings will be retained. When going back to 2.5.0.x (I see no reason to do that, however) again just install it over the 2.9. Please see manual for details about up- and downgrading.
I can't download the manual (link seems to be broken ?)

YL
Old 2006-10-30, 11:12
plan44.ch

What is the link you had problems with?

The manual is part of the normal beta download (just get Palm_Client_std_en.zip or Palm_Client_pro_en.zip, it includes the software, and all docs).
Old 2006-10-31, 13:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by luz
What is the link you had problems with?
No problems in fact.

I have install the v2.9.

And allways the same problem (only one email synchronized).

I do not think palm is the problem : when I sync Outlook and palm, the two emails are synchronized.

In fact, Egw use Vcard format, and Vcard has only one email adress (EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET). Hotsync probably do not use the same format.

YL

Last edited by luz; 2006-10-31 at 16:48.
Old 2006-10-31, 16:51
plan44.ch

Exclamation Re: Second Email adress in palm OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvelan
In fact, Egw use Vcard format, and Vcard has only one email adress (EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET).
No, you can have as many EMAIL properties in a vCard as you like. Probably eGW just only generates one, but if it generated 2 or three, all would be stored by our PalmOS client (as long as total of tels + total of emails <=5 for old palms or <=8 for newer palms).

Quote:
Hotsync probably do not use the same format.
That's true. Hotsync does not use vCard at all, but an internal data representation that exactly matches the PalmOS fields.
Old 2006-11-01, 02:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by luz
No, you can have as many EMAIL properties in a vCard as you like. Probably eGW just only generates one, but if it generated 2 or three, all would be stored by our PalmOS client (as long as total of tels + total of emails <=5 for old palms or <=8 for newer palms).
Not exactly. Egw can generate two emails (array email and email_home), and the fields to sync are

Quote:
'EMAIL;INTERNET;WORK' => array('email'),
'EMAIL;INTERNET;HOME' => array('email_home'),
The default fields for synthesis is only the first one

The problem is that the sync do not understand INTERNET;WORK nor INTERNET;HOME but only EMAIL. If I rease the ';INTERNET;WORK' I have the same result. So, if I have two emails in the palm, the second one (home) is recorded in the email field instead of the email_home, even if I insert the 'EMAIL;INTERNET;HOME' => array('email_home') line ... I have tryed 'EMAIL2;INTERNET;HOME' => array('email_home'), no results.

My Sonny-Erricsson use syncml protocol too, and sync with Egw works fine : the two emails are correctly insered.

Question : when there is two emails in a palm db, what are the fields of each email ?

YL
Old 2006-11-03, 10:52

Hello

I continue to search

Here is the debug log in egw. I have insered a contact-test with two emails, and sync has generated a vcard :

Quote:
Nov 03 00:36:42 EGWSYNC [debug] [egwcontactssync] SymcML: egwcontactssync import content: BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Test;Testpalm;;;
FN:Test, Testpalm
TITLE:
ORG:Testsoc;
CLASS:PUBLIC
NOTE:
URL:
BDAY:
TEL;WORK:0244444444
TEL;HOME:0243333332
TEL;CELL:0666666666
EMAIL:test@palm.fr
EMAIL:testz@palm.fr
ADR:;;;;;;
PHOTO;TYPE=JPEG:
END:VCARD
contenttype: text/x-vcard [on line 127 of "/var/www/html/egroupware/syncml/contacts/lib/api.php"]
As you can see, the emails fields generated by syncml are the same (EMAIL) instead of EMAIL;INTERNET;HOME or EMAIL:INTERNET:WORK

As a result, egw probably insert the firs email and after the second email in the same field in the database.

I have not done yet a egw=>palm test to see what is generated by egw in order to understant why the second email in egw is not sync in palm.

I post the same post in the egw list, because I realy do not know where to debug this : synthesis client ? Egw ?

YL