Synthesis AG - SyncML Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Synthesis AG - SyncML Discussion Forum > Synthesis SyncML Products (english) > SyncML Clients for Android

Old 2010-06-02, 16:50

Default Calendar categories not syncing correctly

I have a number of categories within my egroupware calendar. These have a one-to-one relationship with the calendars I have setup in Android (and with the categories on my old PalmOS PDA, my Google calendars and so on). When syncing to/from Android I would expect that each category would be mapped to a calendar using the CATEGORIES field in the VCAL. Unfortunately this is not the case as Android seems to include a prefix of 'cal=' to the value in the category field. e.g.

In Egroupware, categories are "A", "B", "C"
In Android, calendars are "A", "B", "C"
Syncing from Egroupware to Android, all categories get synced to calendar A (the default) as they have an 'unknown category'
Syncing from Android to Egroupware, new categories are created: "cal=A", "cal=B", "cal=C"
Syncing back to Android with a new event tagged with any of the "cal=" categories correctly assigns this event into the matching calendar.

Shouldn't the synthesis client strip the 'cal=' on outbound syncs and add it on inbound syncs to maintain a consistent namespace for categories and calendars across multiple devices? Or am I missing a trick somewhere?

The device I'm testing this on is running Android 1.6. I'm afraid I don't have access to a 2.x device to see if it's any different.
Old 2010-06-03, 11:09
Synthesis AG

Default Re: Calendar categories not syncing correctly

The syntax with cal=X was chosen because it WAS conflicting with the namespace of some servers, so the client's categories are currently treated like a separate namespace. The main intention is to find back the way to the client's datastore where an item was coming from.

It is planed however for one of the next updates to make this category field editable for each contact or event datastore. Then you'll be able to match it in a way you like (and create namespace clashes at your own risk).
Old 2010-06-03, 14:37

thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure I understand how other servers can have a namespace clash with this since surely the whole point of using syncml to/from a server is to keep stuff in sync. Whatever category I have on my desktop/server I expect to get synced to my phone and vice-versa, not have its name changed or ignored on the way. With this implementation, a single device (the android phone) is forcing me to rename categories on my server, a nokia phone, my desktop PIM client, plus my wife's Sony phone and palmOS device (which share the same categories on the server). This seems wrong to me!

So... any idea when your update will be available which will allow users to edit/remove this prefix? I'm very interested in seeing this!
Old 2010-06-03, 15:50
Synthesis AG

That's not entirely true. The categories of your server will be neither changed nor removed, as the Android device simply has its own namespace. The categories of your server will be preserved as they are, but not mixed with the device's categories, as long as they are not called cal=X.

The future release will make the "cal=X" string editeable to whatever you like.

The calendar implementation is the same for 1.5 .. 2.1, so you'll see no difference for a 2.X Android device.
Old 2010-06-03, 16:09

I'm glad to hear that the new release will allow me to edit the "cal=" prefix to be "" as I want the 'Personal' category (etc.) on my server to sync to the 'Personal' calendar on my phone, to match the 'Personal' category on my desktop PIM software, and the 'Personal' calendar in Mozilla Lightning etc. (all synced from the server via syncml or groupdav). At present this is not the case unless I rename the 'Personal' category to 'cal=Personal' everywhere except the android phone. I still can't imagine why anyone would want their phone to have a separate namespace, especially with a forced prefix, but c'est la vie - as long as it's "fixed in the next release", as they say :-)

Regards, Ian
Old 2010-06-22, 15:30

Hi Beat!

This issue sounds familiar to me

(@hodgepig: I totally agree with you!)

Nice to hear that you decided to make the "cal=" configurable! Do you have an idea when a new release containing this feature will be available?

I'm still using the (from your point of view buggy) old beta for a one-way sync from my server to my android device, but it will expire at the end of this month. Would be great if I can continue to sync, and then in both ways. You will have a new paying customer then

Kind regards from Germany,

Marc
Old 2010-08-20, 12:03

Hi Beat!

I just saw that there is a new version, but I can't find anything about a configurable "cal=" in the release notes. What is the planning about this?

Greetz,

Marc
Old 2010-08-25, 18:53
Synthesis AG

It's not yet done for 1.8.0.4, but on the todo list for one of the next releases ...
Old 2010-08-26, 09:13

Ok, thanks for the info. Still looking forward to this :-)