Synthesis AG - SyncML Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Synthesis AG - SyncML Discussion Forum > Synthesis SyncML Products (english) > SyncML Clients for Android

Old 2010-11-04, 13:04

Default Exceptions in recurring events are ignored?

Environment:
  • phone: Samsung Galaxy S with Android 2.1
  • client: SyncML STD 1.8.0.23 for Android
  • server: Egroupware 1.8.001
How to reproduce:
  • on the server, make a recurring appointment, e.g. for every day between 8 and 12 November from 10:00h to 11:00h
  • edit an exception, e.g. for Wednesday, and delete this one (so you now have the recurring test appointment on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday)
  • sync from the server to the client
In my Android calendar I now have a recurring appointment for every day from 8 to 12 November, i.e. the exception does not get synchronised correctly.

In my real-world case this is especially annoying, as I have a bi-weekly event that has an exception for the first meeting of each quarter, where a different meeting is held instead. On these days I get two overlapping events on my phone...
Old 2010-11-04, 13:45
Synthesis AG

Default Re: Exceptions in recurring events are ignored?

Unfortunately the Android calendar is only able to handle exception dates AFTER syncing with the GMail account. Then a UID will be created which is the base for handling exceptions.

Forcing UIDs from sever side isn't possible as this would crash the Android calendar. This is a serious weakness of the Android calendar system and has nothing to do with the Synthesis client.

Regards,
Beat
Old 2010-11-04, 13:58

Darn, that is a serious shortcoming indeed! It makes the Android calendar unreliable w.r.t. recurring events. When viewing a recurring event in my Android calendar, I cannot tell whether I really have an appointment or whether it was deleted on the server (i.e. an exception).
And I do not want to synchronise my company calendar with my Google account.
Do you know of any tracking issues with Google that I could vote for to get this fixed?

Last edited by gjvoosten; 2010-11-04 at 16:14.
Old 2010-11-04, 14:01

By the way, on the Android device itself it is possible to create exceptions (by deleting an event from a recurring appointment), so the native calendar does support it one way or another, even without syncing to Google...
Old 2010-11-09, 13:45
Synthesis AG

Not entirely true.
There might be some calendars on some Android device types which can do that for some reasons. But it's not the case in general.

A test with a Google Nexus One and Android 2.2.1 clearly shows that exception dates are not possible before a gmail sync. The menu for editing the event is a reduced version. After gmail sync the full menu allowing exceptions is visible.

I'd like to see a log file of such an event with exceptions to see what's happening and where the UID is coming from.

Regards
Beat
(bfo@synthesis.ch)
Old 2010-11-10, 09:02

Hi Beat,

I'm using the standard calendar app on the Samsung Galaxy S; I have no idea how 'standard' that actually is.
(Too bad the Android SDK emulator doesn't have a calendar app; now that would be useful.)

I'll e-mail you privately to work out the details of which scenarios you want me to test and how to log them.

Cheers,
GJ
Old 2010-11-22, 12:42
Synthesis AG

Ok, most of the exdate things seem now to work in 1.8.0.27 !

For the not yet written UID to the Samsung calendar I'll keep you updated as discussed in our mails.
Thanks for your help !