Synthesis AG - SyncML Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Synthesis AG - SyncML Discussion Forum > Synthesis SyncML Products (english) > SyncML Clients for classic PDAs (WindowsMobile, PalmOS)

Old 2006-10-21, 19:38

Default Autosync doesn't work as advertised

Using synthesis client with eGroupware and I have the following issues:

Autosync does not work as advertised. Using a PPC-6700 WM5 based smartphone with the synthesis pro client. I have set the client to sync every 5 minutes. When the device is on, it seems to be working fine. If it auto-powers off or if I turn it off (not completely off just the screen) the synthesis client does not autosync. I have to turn it back on and when I go back to the synthesis client it starts syncying by itself then. It's almost like the client has to be in the foreground for autosync to work. The autosync is the biggest issue we're having.

Separate issue, we are unable to get a user's calendar on a windows 2003 ipaq device to the eGroupware server. The synthesis client reports that everything synced fine with no errors but the appointments do not show up on the server. And yes, just in case you are wondering, we have setup the Tasks as ./calendar in the synthesis client. We've tried, slow sync, replace the server, update the server and nothing has worked.

Is there a way to get the client to do a slow-sync each and every time?
Old 2006-10-23, 00:50

Default Re: Autosync doesn't work as advertised

I have used the pro version on WM 2003 and WM 2005 and now the Treo 650. All autosync as they are supposed to, adhering to battery level, days of week and hours of day settings. The fatal flaw that syncml has lies with it's requirement to be loaded manually on these tiny operating systems. A good example for the Palm is ChatterEmail that runs as a background process in some manner and it starts itself after a crash or power up. Synthesis does take over to make a connection on the Palm version so it runs in the foreground.

You can add Synthesis Client to the startup folder on your Windows Mobile device. And there is a freeware app called Autoexec for the Palm that will start the Syncml client after a warm restart and it is better than nothing. But I have not found any reliable way to start Synthesis following a warm start or powerup on either a Windows or Palm device in it's current stable or beta versions.

In my opinion, the most valuable improvement that can be made to Synthesis client is to code it to start when the OS is stable and running and to autosync when it needs to quietly in the background. ChatterEmail for instance, has settings to autostart it on the Palm and it works reliably everytime and never has a popup to tell you it is doing it's functions.

Last edited by lesharrison; 2006-10-23 at 00:56.
Old 2006-10-23, 11:46

Angry Re: Autosync doesn't work as advertised

You are right. The client does not start after a warm reset. The autosync does not happen if the pda goes in power saving mode even though my imap which is setup to check mail every 15 minutes works like a charm. I see little point to "autosync" if it doesn't do it automatically unless the PDA is actually on. Putting in the startup folder will start the client after a warm reset, but it simply will not work the moment the screen turns off.

Is this ever going to get fixed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesharrison
I have used the pro version on WM 2003 and WM 2005 and now the Treo 650. All autosync as they are supposed to, adhering to battery level, days of week and hours of day settings. The fatal flaw that syncml has lies with it's requirement to be loaded manually on these tiny operating systems. A good example for the Palm is ChatterEmail that runs as a background process in some manner and it starts itself after a crash or power up. Synthesis does take over to make a connection on the Palm version so it runs in the foreground.

You can add Synthesis Client to the startup folder on your Windows Mobile device. And there is a freeware app called Autoexec for the Palm that will start the Syncml client after a warm restart and it is better than nothing. But I have not found any reliable way to start Synthesis following a warm start or powerup on either a Windows or Palm device in it's current stable or beta versions.

In my opinion, the most valuable improvement that can be made to Synthesis client is to code it to start when the OS is stable and running and to autosync when it needs to quietly in the background. ChatterEmail for instance, has settings to autostart it on the Palm and it works reliably everytime and never has a popup to tell you it is doing it's functions.
Old 2006-10-23, 12:49

After further reading into this issue, this is what's happenning. This is strictly valid for the pocket pc (w/touchscreen) version of the synthesis client. The client does NOT set unattended mode when it starts up as opposed to active sync which it does. This is why notifications work with activesync, where in the synthesis client nothing works if the device is in power saving mode. This is obviously a coding issue which I hope the synthesis developers will look into since they are wanting to charge considerably more $ for an autosync feature that's not working like it's supposed to.

Keywords just in case you are wondering:

PowerPolicyNotify(PPN_UNATTENDEDMODE, TRUE);

PowerPolicyNotify(PPN_UNATTENDEDMODE, FALSE);

I would love to hear some comments from the developers on this issue and a timeline of if and when this is going to be addressed.
Old 2006-10-24, 01:23
plan44.ch

Thanks for the detailed reports. We'll sure look into that and find why it does not work as it should. I'll keep you posted.
Old 2006-10-26, 02:18
plan44.ch

Exclamation Re: Autosync doesn't work as advertised

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeztech
PowerPolicyNotify(PPN_UNATTENDEDMODE, TRUE);
Unattended Mode has a major drawback - altough the device looks as if sleeping, it runs normally and consumes almost as much power as if it was on.

So our design of scheduled sync calculates the time when next sync is due, and then schedules a wakeup for that time. So the PocketPC can actually sleep between syncs and save power.

We did a bit (actually, two full days...) of research and testing with our device zoo to find why this obviously does not work with some devices.

Now the problem is that the wakeup notifications are simply not reliably working on some devices. If you google a bit, you find reports on even a simple alarm clock not reliably working with WinMobile (stoneage up to WM5). For example, the QTek 9100 (a close relative of the PPC 6700) completely fails to execute non-visual wakeup notifications. Visual notifications (those that show on the screen) however work. Sad but true.

The next beta will therefore use visual notifications (in WM5 only, can be disabled for devices found to work ok without) to make sure the device wakes and autosync does not stall. Should be on-line by end of the week...
Old 2006-10-26, 21:28
plan44.ch

Arrow Re: Autosync doesn't work as advertised

2.9.9.7 beta for Windows Mobile PocketPC is now available. It should fix the autosync problems as explained in my previous post.

And it also now makes sure that it gets re-started after a soft reset (it automatically puts a short cut into \Windows\StartUp when autosync is on). Unlike a manually created autostart shortcut, it can make the client start in background
Old 2006-10-28, 04:14

We have given up on our Windows Mobile devices and gone to Treo 650's. Is there any plan to do something on the Treo to start up SyncML wthout having to load the application after a shut off or warm restart? Our staff members keep bringing their Treo to support to fix the calendar being out of date and most of the time, it is just that they have not started SyncML since the last powerdown or Treo self reboot.

Otherwise this is one great application for synching PIM data. It is fast and accurate for us but from the user standpoint it appears to be weak and fails a lot based on their casual observance of the out of date calendar data.

Thanks,
Les
Old 2006-10-31, 03:28

Well, I appreciate the hard work you've put into this. I'll try the beta and see how it works. I understand your decision behind not enabling Unattended Mode. You are right, it will suck your battery dry if you don't watch it. As long as it syncs on a specified schedule, I'm happy.