Synthesis AG - SyncML Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Synthesis AG - SyncML Discussion Forum > Synthesis SyncML Products (english) > SyncML Clients for Android

Old 2011-12-18, 18:48

Default Sync multiple categories into one calendar

Dear all,

to map categories of the remote calendar to my android I use multiple local calendars. This works perfect for 1:1 relations - one category is mapped to one calendar.

Is it possible to define n:1 mappings, i.e. multiple categories to one calenda?

All categories without explecit mapping are synct to the default calender. But here I don't want the multiple categoires to be synced to my default calendar....

I already tried a comma separated list of the relevant categories in the calendar-category mapping, but unfortunately without any success.

Any ideas?

cheers
schmittchen-schleicher
Old 2011-12-28, 16:04

Default Re: Sync multiple categories into one calendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmittchen-schleicher View Post
Dear all,

to map categories of the remote calendar to my android I use multiple local calendars. This works perfect for 1:1 relations - one category is mapped to one calendar.

Is it possible to define n:1 mappings, i.e. multiple categories to one calenda?

All categories without explecit mapping are synct to the default calender. But here I don't want the multiple categoires to be synced to my default calendar....

I already tried a comma separated list of the relevant categories in the calendar-category mapping, but unfortunately without any success.

Any ideas?

cheers
schmittchen-schleicher
Schmitt,

I do exactly the same as you: I sync three calendars from Memotoo in to three calendars on my Android (I setup three SyncML calendars on my Android).

Regarding your question, I don't know what you sync your Android with, but with Memotoo, multiple categories (calendars) can be synced in to one calendar (or contacts, or whatever) on the host app by specifying the category/categories in the address of the calendar/contacts.

Example: on Memotoo, I have calendars Work, Personal, Events, and each one has a code, 11111,22222,33333, respectively.

In Synthesis SyncML, the address I give for the calendars is memotoo.com/syncml/calendar.11111 (this will sync only the work calendar with the specified calendar on my Android).

If I want to merge multiple calendars from Memotoo in to one calendar on my Android, via SyncML, then I specify multiple categories in the address: memotoo.com/syncml/calendar.11111.22222.33333

The above will effectively merge all three calendars in to the same calendar on my Android.

** BUT **, warning! This is fine from Memotoo to Android. Now, what about the reverse operation (updating my online Memotoo calendar with new data from the Android)? How will Memotoo know where to put the new data? Does it go in calendar 11111, 22222, or 33333 (Work, Personal or Events)???

I don't know what would happen.

One drawback of merging multiple calendars in to one in Android is that they will all be the same colour, and you won't be able to hide/show them separately. So I don't see a reason to do this.

Currently, I have in Synthesis SyncML three profiles, one for Work calendar, one for Personal and one for Events. This is not ideal, as I have to activate and sync each one separately. I'm looking in how to make all three separate calendars work in one profile, but I think that's not possible... But this is a separate question.
Old 2011-12-28, 16:18

Dear Mickets,

I also use Memotoo

The reason to put a number of Memotoo calendars into one Android calendar is the following one:
Since it is not possible to add any (read only) ics calendar from the internet to Android directly I add them to Memotoo.
However, my favorite official holiday calendars and school holiday calendars are provided annually 2011, 2012, 2013 ...
Because they are read only I would like to have them into one Android calendar with on single color!!!

I will try your notation by concatenating the calendar names with ".". Since no changes are made in my Android I don't need the sync Android -> Memotoo

Thanks!
Old 2011-12-28, 18:53

A-ha... I get it.

And, by the way, I finally found an answer to my other question ("...how to make all three separate calendars work in one profile...").

I achieved that by using Calendar categories Assignment in Synthesis:
  • I have three SyncML calendars in Android: Work, Personal, Events
  • In Memotoo, they also exist: Work, Personal, Events
  • On Android, one SyncML contacts account, "Contacts"
  • In Synthesis, one profile
  • This profile links to: a) calendar.Work.Events.Personal and b) Contacts.CellPhone
  • For events, I activated Categories Assignment: Personal calendar on Andrioid = Personal category, etc.
  • Optionally, I could select a category to assign to events that for some reason aren't in any of the three above

So far, it's working fine: I can sync all three calendars and also contacts at once, and they're all falling in the right categories / calendars.

Good stuff! No more four separate syncs!

Michael ("Mickets")

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmittchen-schleicher View Post
Dear Mickets,

I also use Memotoo

The reason to put a number of Memotoo calendars into one Android calendar is the following one:
Since it is not possible to add any (read only) ics calendar from the internet to Android directly I add them to Memotoo.
However, my favorite official holiday calendars and school holiday calendars are provided annually 2011, 2012, 2013 ...
Because they are read only I would like to have them into one Android calendar with on single color!!!

I will try your notation by concatenating the calendar names with ".". Since no changes are made in my Android I don't need the sync Android -> Memotoo

Thanks!