Synthesis AG - SyncML Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Synthesis AG - SyncML Discussion Forum > Synthesis SyncML Products (english) > SyncML Clients for Android

Old 2012-02-11, 11:17

Default [SOLVED] SyncML, EGroupware & contacts on HTC Legend

Hello,

Here I want to document the issues I had after doing a device reload having contacts in multiple addressbooks. Here, I'm talking about EGW and an HTC Legend because that's what I'm using, but I suppose this could happen to any combination of hard- and software.

I had most contacts in the Google addressbook, and some in the Phone (pcsc) addressbook. A first sync with EGroupware (EGW) synced all contacts to EGW. Or so I thought. At some point, when I thought everything was well, I decided to a device reload and see what happened. From then on, I was missing contacts in the native addressbook tool (People), that still were in EGW and the SyncML client reported all contacts synced.
Trying to figure out what happened, I installed another contacts app: GO Contacts EX. With this app, I could see most contacts -more than with People- but still not all. So.. WTF!?

After having contact with Beat (thanks!), I came to the solution below. (Of course, everything you do is on your own risk: I cannot be held responsible if you loose some or all of your contacts!)

1. In all addressbook apps, make sure you have:
- Enabled all addressbooks you need
- Deselected "Only contacts with phone number", "Show contacts with phone numbers only" or equivalent. For this you want to be able to see all contacts.

2. In the SyncML client, choose Menu->Settings->Server Settings.
- Check if you have "App identifies itself as 'SySync Client Android [STD|PRO]'" is set to OFF (default setting). If so, you can skip the rest of this step.
- If it's set to ON and you have NOT synced before, set it to OFF and skip the rest of this step.
- If it's set to ON and you have synced before, what may work is:
- Set "App identifies itself as 'SySync Client Android [STD|PRO]'" to OFF.
- Set "Use alternate device ID" to ON and use a custom device ID. That way EGW "thinks" it's connecting to another device and will create a new profile, syncing everything to a new profile. This will start a slow sync. (@Beat: did I understand this correct?) I didn't have to do this so I can't comment on it.

3. Sync everything one last time to make sure you have all contacts synced to EGW. Check this! (In my case, it added another 40 contacts which at first sight I didn't notice missing between the 192 others!)

4. (I'm not certain if step 4 and 5 can be done in 1 step; this is just how I've done things..) In the SyncML client, choose Menu->Settings->Contacts.
- The default addressbook chosen was Google. I don't want to sync to Google anymore, certainly not since they're about to change their privacy policy (which IMO looks user-friendly but really isn't), so I disabled the Google addressbook. Make sure that the Phone (pcsc) addressbook is enabled.
- Set the Sync Mode to "Reload Device". This mode will delete all contacts from the enabled addressbooks and do a full reload from EGW.
- Save everything and perform a sync.

5. Check your addressbook if all expected contacts are there. Chances are (read: I'm quite sure) that you have double contacts: one for your Phone addressbook, and one for the Google addressbook both containing the same information. Which is... a less desirable situation.. In the SyncML client, choose Menu->Settings->Contacts.
- Check that the default addressbook has changed to Phone (pcsc).
- Enable the Google addressbook. Because the SyncML client will sync to the first addressbook it sees, it will not select the Google addressbook to sync to.
- Set the Sync Mode to "Reload Device".
- Save everything and perform a sync. Because the Google addressbook is now enabled, all contacts in it will be deleted before the sync, and because nothing is synced into it, it will be empty afterwards.

6. Check your addressbook if all expected contacts are there and if the doubles are deleted.
- If not... I don't know why not and that didn't happen to me: as of this step I can see all contacts in all addressbook apps, and they are stored in the Phone addressbook.
- Disable the Google addressbook in all your addressbook apps.
- Disable the Google addressbook in the SyncML client.

That should be it. (And yes: although the problem is solved, it doesn't actually explain why I was missing some/different contacts in multiple addressbook apps). Hope it helps someone sometime.