Synthesis AG - SyncML Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Synthesis AG - SyncML Discussion Forum > Synthesis SyncML Products (english) > SyncML Clients for classic PDAs (WindowsMobile, PalmOS)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 2007-04-04, 00:59
lrsatlanta lrsatlanta is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 2007-04
Posts: 3
Default Autosync isn't exactly automatic

Hi there. I just purchased and downloaded the latest client for Palm, 3.0.0.2. I am using this on an unlocked GSM Treo 650 against Oracle Calendar Server version 9.0.4. Treo software revision is Treo650-1.20-ENA.

It works great as far as synchronizing calendar events goes, but the autosync doesn't seem to work unless the SyncML application is in the foreground. Perchance I am misunderstanding how this is supposed to work, but I went through the forums here, google and the manual that downloads with the software and it seems that it should not need to be in the foreground to autosync.

If I leave the SyncML app in the foreground, it autosyncs on schedule no problems. If I switch to another app, like say the phone, it never syncs until I switch back to the SyncML app. As soon as I switch to the SyncML app, the Autosync satus shows "inactive" but then changes to display the next scheduled sync time.

I'm at a bit of a loss now. Can someone give me a hint as to whether I am just misunderstanding or perchance this isn't functioning as it should?

Thanks.

-Lawrence
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2007-04-04, 18:13
luz's Avatar
luz luz is offline
plan44.ch
 
Join Date: 2006-06
Posts: 348
Exclamation Re: Autosync isn't exactly automatic

Thanks for reporting the problem!

We just found there is indeed a bug which caused this.

However, the problem was only device when KeyGuard was active in the moment when AutoSync wanted to start a new sync, so that's why the problem was not detected earlier.

We just released an update to 3.0.1.2 which fixes this and a few other problems (especially compatibility with the T|X). You can get it using the "Check for Update" feature in the SyncML client software or manually at our website.
__________________
Lukas Zeller, plan44.ch
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2007-04-05, 18:45
lrsatlanta lrsatlanta is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 2007-04
Posts: 3
Default Re: Autosync isn't exactly automatic

And it works! Hooray!

Thanks for your quick reply. This makes my day.

-Lawrence
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2007-04-16, 23:06
lrsatlanta lrsatlanta is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 2007-04
Posts: 3
Default Re: Autosync isn't exactly automatic

OK, new problem, same basic concern.

Syncing is automatic now and works as advertised, mostly.

I now have a situation where it does not seem to be working correctly, however. This morning I picked up my palm and woke it up and noticed that it had not synchronized since last Friday. Given my settings as noted below, I would have expected it to be syncing since midnight. Once I woke it, it immediately synchronized and has been working as expected since.

My autosync settings are as follows:

Top line of settings: M-F 00:00-00:00 battery greater than 10% autosync mode "Timed"

Second line of settings: Sat-Sun 00:00-00:00 battery greater than 10% autosync mode "Off"

Other time/condition: Autosync mode "Off"

-Lawrence
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2007-06-08, 15:22
abruenin abruenin is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 2007-06
Posts: 7
Default Re: Autosync isn't exactly automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by luz View Post
We just released an update to 3.0.1.2 which fixes this and a few other problems (especially compatibility with the T|X). You can get it using the "Check for Update" feature in the SyncML client software or manually at our website.
as of your release notes, 3.x is not supported with Oracle Collaboration Suite. Did this change?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2007-12-20, 15:28
JohnDCCIU JohnDCCIU is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 2007-12
Posts: 2
Exclamation Re: Autosync isn't exactly automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsatlanta View Post
Hi there. I just purchased and downloaded the latest client for Palm, 3.0.0.2. I am using this on an unlocked GSM Treo 650 against Oracle Calendar Server version 9.0.4. Treo software revision is Treo650-1.20-ENA.

It works great as far as synchronizing calendar events goes, but the autosync doesn't seem to work unless the SyncML application is in the foreground. Perchance I am misunderstanding how this is supposed to work, but I went through the forums here, google and the manual that downloads with the software and it seems that it should not need to be in the foreground to autosync.

If I leave the SyncML app in the foreground, it autosyncs on schedule no problems. If I switch to another app, like say the phone, it never syncs until I switch back to the SyncML app. As soon as I switch to the SyncML app, the Autosync satus shows "inactive" but then changes to display the next scheduled sync time.

I'm at a bit of a loss now. Can someone give me a hint as to whether I am just misunderstanding or perchance this isn't functioning as it should?
We've been having this same problem with our Treos (650 and 700p) since we started with Synthesis and the 3.0.2.x clients. We're up to 3.0.2.12 at this point and there's still no fix!

The problem is just as described above: it will Sync as intended for awhile, but then suddenly the app just doesn't activate any more. If the user then launches the app, without doing anything else at all, they can see by the last sync time that it hasn't synced for hours or days, even though it was supposed to, and the client immediately starts syncing. It then works as it should for another period of time (usually days), but eventually the same thing happens.

The big problem is that there's no way for the user to know that this is happening...their stuff simply isn't synced....until they visit the app. That's fine for technical types that like to play with their phones, but for the VIPs that want it to just work, this isn't cutting it!

When will this be fixed?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2008-01-11, 00:30
JohnDCCIU JohnDCCIU is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 2007-12
Posts: 2
Default Re: Autosync isn't exactly automatic

Bump!

What's going on with this bug?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2008-01-11, 12:38
taroliw taroliw is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 2007-12
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 7
Send a message via AIM to taroliw Send a message via Yahoo to taroliw
Default Re: Autosync isn't exactly automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDCCIU View Post
We've been having this same problem with our Treos (650 and 700p) since we started with Synthesis and the 3.0.2.x clients. We're up to 3.0.2.12 at this point and there's still no fix!
I think it's a general issue with the PalmOS client, as I have the same behavior on my 680 as well.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2008-01-15, 17:29
luz's Avatar
luz luz is offline
plan44.ch
 
Join Date: 2006-06
Posts: 348
Default Re: Autosync isn't exactly automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
I think it's a general issue with the PalmOS client, as I have the same behavior on my 680 as well.
We're still trying to reproduce this here, with no success so far (that's why you haven't heard more from us about that bug or a fix). We need to be able to catch this "live" at least once to debug it.

One piece of information that could help us: In the thread it is said the autosync works "for a while". How long approximately is such a while? Hours? Days? Weeks? And what is the frequency set for autosync?
__________________
Lukas Zeller, plan44.ch
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2008-01-15, 20:16
taroliw taroliw is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 2007-12
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 7
Send a message via AIM to taroliw Send a message via Yahoo to taroliw
Default Re: Autosync isn't exactly automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by luz View Post
We're still trying to reproduce this here, with no success so far (that's why you haven't heard more from us about that bug or a fix). We need to be able to catch this "live" at least once to debug it.

One piece of information that could help us: In the thread it is said the autosync works "for a while". How long approximately is such a while? Hours? Days? Weeks? And what is the frequency set for autosync?
Personally, I've never seen it work longer than a day. I've gotten into the habit of manually bouncing into SyncML at least once or twice a day to be sure it's syncing. And, more often than not, it hasn't synced and wakes up to do it as soon as I open the application.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.