Synthesis AG - SyncML Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Synthesis AG - SyncML Discussion Forum > Synthesis SyncML Products (english) > Todo+Cal+Sync and SyncML PRO/LITE for iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch)

Old 2008-08-05, 22:30

Default iPhone syncs with OCS but then rejects all contacts

I am syncing my iphone 3g with OCS. Using all the same settings from my treo 750 (wm6) device. iPhone connects and downloads all contacts (397) from the OCS server. Sync completes with no errors. In the log it says the device rejected all the contacts and there is nothing in my contacts on the iphone. Any ideas/suggestions on what is the problem here?
Old 2008-08-06, 18:23

Default Re: iPhone syncs with OCS but then rejects all contacts

I am having the same issue, but I am using MDaemon as the server though.
Old 2008-08-06, 21:26

I have same behavior.

Syncing with OCS. No problems using SyncML standard or pro on my Treo 755, but on my first gen iPod Touch (2.0 firmware), SyncML rejects all changes on the device.

During sync, it says "(no local data changes)" beneath the SyncML Contacts area.
Old 2008-08-07, 16:08

Ok... I used Plaxo to sync my Outlook (from OCS) contacts on my PC, then synced those contacts down to my Mac's address book. Used iTunes to sync my contacts with the iPhone. Now when I try to sync using SyncML, the program crashes every time I click 'Start Synchronisation'.

Plaxo is the universal address book service used by my ISP (comcast). This process was very cumbersome and don't plan on using it regularly.

Any comments? Luz?
Old 2008-08-12, 03:12
plan44.ch

Exclamation Re: iPhone syncs with OCS but then rejects all contacts

Thanks for reporting this!

In the meantime, we could track down the "all items rejected" bug, and fixed it in the 1.0.2 version of the iPhone client - posted to App Store on August 8th.

We have no idea how long it will take Apple to review that update - we hope that it will be available soon for you to download on App Store.
Old 2008-08-12, 21:46

Thanks Lukas. I'm very excited about using SyncML in its current, diminished, functionality on my iPod. When it is finally granted full calendar functionality by Apple I will be beyond ecstatic!
Old 2008-08-14, 22:32

Any idea when this update will be available?
Old 2008-08-17, 19:32
plan44.ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
Any idea when this update will be available?
No, not at all

We were already contacted by Apple's review team, which means they were looking at the update - but for the initial release it still took a long time after that without the slightest indication from Apple if and what was going on, and why it took so long. We just hope the update will go trough faster!

In the meantime we also posted version 1.0.4 which has another fix for a problem with contact entries having neither first nor last name (these could terminate the application).
Old 2008-09-02, 19:43

I also have this problem when trying to synch with ZYB.com. Im using version 1.0.4.. Any clues? I would REALLY like to get my phonebook into the iPhone..
Old 2008-09-03, 11:01
plan44.ch

Lightbulb Re: iPhone syncs with OCS but then rejects all contacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by espenlg View Post
I also have this problem when trying to synch with ZYB.com. Im using version 1.0.4.. Any clues? I would REALLY like to get my phonebook into the iPhone..
This is a bug in the ZYB server related to vCard 3.0. We have contacted them and they are working on it to fix it.

For the technically interested - the difference between 1.0.1 and 1.0.4 is that 1.0.4 prefers the newer vCard 3.0 over the older vCard 2.1 format. That's not more than a flag in the so called device information saying "hi server, if you know vCard 3.0, please use that and not the older 2.1". But that's only a preference - the 1.0.4 client still can work with vCard 2.1 exactly as before, and the server may use vCard 2.1 as before.

Surprisingly for us, this little change of asking for vCard 3.0 "please, if possible" has revealed that a number of servers claim to support vCard 3.0, but fail in some way or another when actually asked to do so. Usually the problems are minor and the makers of these servers are eager to fix them quickly once they get noticed, like ZYB now and similarily Alt-N MDaemon and eGroupware/Horde a few weeks ago.

In the meantime we constantly try to make our client even more tolerant against such problems and try to add workarounds where it is possible without violating the SyncML standard, so future releases might work with a server even if it hasn't got its vCard 3.0 support 100% right.