Synthesis AG - SyncML Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Synthesis AG - SyncML Discussion Forum > Synthesis SyncML Products (english) > Todo+Cal+Sync and SyncML PRO/LITE for iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch)

Old 2009-01-16, 08:03

Default Todo+Cal+Sync with SmarterMail 5.5 Enterprise Problem

I came across this forum today and found the Todo+Cal+Sync SyncML application today and thought I had found the motherload of being able to sync my iPhone with my calendar and tasks. The task list app looks great from the pictures and it will sync to my mail server, which in turn will syncs fine with my Outlook. So, I bought it from the App Store and am trying to get it talking.

Here's what I have:

I have an iPhone 3G and an account on a SmarterMail 5.5 Enterprise server. I own the server, so I have full access to it.

SmarterMail 5.5 says it supports SyncML...

The web site here says it supports SyncML...

Funambol can sync with the SmarterMail server, but doesn't do Tasks, which is mainly what I'm after.

However, Todo+Cal+Sync and SmarterMail Enterprise don't seem to want to play nicely together...

On the server side, the SyncML log file shows the following entries each time I try to sync from the iPhone.

18:37:22 [360dc89ed96f45d8a0d0bfa3dbf88b4b] Received request from 76.29.212.146
18:37:22 [360dc89ed96f45d8a0d0bfa3dbf88b4b] Request is in unsupported format: application/vnd.syncml+wbxml

So, does anyone have an iPhone with the Todo+Cal+Sync application synchronizing to a SmarterMail Enterprise server? If not, anyone have any ideas on how to get the Todo+Cal+Sync app to put the request into the supported format?

I have tried each of the SyncML version settings individually and get the same result on each of the three settings.

I have tried disabling the contacts, calendar, and task choices and trying to sync them individually to see if one of the three was causing the problem. Same result on each of the three.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Eddie

Last edited by netFusion; 2009-01-16 at 08:05. Reason: Correct the title.
Old 2009-01-17, 07:21

Default Re: Todo+Cal+Sync with SmarterMail 5.5 Enterprise Problem

Ok, after further investigation, I think I have found the answer.

It looks like the SmarterMail Enterprise server does not support WBXML encoding. If I understand correctly, WBXML is a sort of compressed binary version of XML. Is there a way to tell the iPhone app not to use WBXML?

Eddie
Old 2009-02-01, 09:14
plan44.ch

Default Re: Todo+Cal+Sync with SmarterMail 5.5 Enterprise Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by netFusion View Post
It looks like the SmarterMail Enterprise server does not support WBXML encoding.
Which means that this server is NOT a compliant implementation of SyncML. With XML only, it will work with almost no phone that has SyncML built-in, like all all Nokia, SonyEricsson (except medieval P800), Samsung, Motorola etc. All these use WBXML.

Quote:
If I understand correctly, WBXML is a sort of compressed binary version of XML. Is there a way to tell the iPhone app not to use WBXML?
Correct. But SyncML in XML is normally only used for debugging purposes, not for productive use, so our client does not have a switch in the UI for that. Our SyncML engine however has the ability to use XML.
However I'd be very surprised if using XML alone would make the sync work - a server that is apparently not tested/testable with the majority of SyncML devices on the market will most probably have other issues as well.