Synthesis AG - SyncML Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Synthesis AG - SyncML Discussion Forum > Synthesis SyncML Products (english) > SyncML Servers (Linux, Windows, MacOS X)

Old 2007-06-21, 20:42

Default sync other data besides contacts, cal, task, note, email

I know, I know, what else could there be right?

It appears through the syncserv_odbc.xml that it might be possible to set up another datatype with its own fieldlist and odbc map. Is that all that would be required for sync serv to serve requests for synch of such a datatype or is it limited somewhere else to just those datatypes?

I am just using this for home use and testing it out so far, but wow, it is great! I had messed with Funambol and trying to write my own connectors for ages(I don't 'really' know java so the above, if true would answer my prayers.
Old 2007-06-27, 12:07
plan44.ch

Thumbs up Re: sync other data besides contacts, cal, task, note, email

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady4747 View Post
It appears through the syncserv_odbc.xml that it might be possible to set up another datatype with its own fieldlist and odbc map. Is that all that would be required for sync serv to serve requests for synch of such a datatype or is it limited somewhere else to just those datatypes?
It's not limited at all - You can define any custom datatype you want

As you said, it requires a fieldlist and a ODBC map. But additionally, it also needs a <datatype> and a <profile> which define how the fields should be represented in the format for SyncML, like vCard or vCalendar.
But you can define your own vWhateveryoulike with properties matching the fields you want to represent. A complex format like vCard, with tagged telephone numbers etc. needs a relatively complex <profile>, but for a simple format carrying a few fields, the <profile> is simple as well.

As an alternative to vCard-like formats (called MIME-DIR formats), you can also define email-like formats (with header lines and a body).